- Duration 06 Days
- Altitute 3800M
- Stay Tents
- Difficulty Moderate+
Today you will start your drive from Dehradun to reach Sankri. We will stop for lunch en route. This is an enjoyable drive initially along the Yamuna and towards the latter part along the beautiful Tons River. There are very beautiful pine forest sections along the drive today. Upon reaching Sankri we will check into the scenically located campsite. Sankri is paradise on earth and we will take an evening stroll in this beautiful hamlet to get our muscles charged for the trek to come. Overnight stay at Sankri
After a leisurely breakfast we will set out on the hike. Today’s hike is a moderate one and moves through a beautiful forest section for most part. We will walk to Saur village and from there we start climbing up. We will reach a small lake/pond called Juda-ka-Talab. This pond freezes into solid ice during winters. We will camp here for the night. Overnight stay at Juda – ka - Talab
Post breakfast we begin the trek towards Kedar Kantha base, our destination for the day. The route is beautiful with vast fields of snow and patches of green in between them. Views are open on all sides and will keep one busy with the camera. It is going to be an exhausting but enjoyable hike today. The Kedar Kantha base campsite is an open snow ground surrounded by trees. This site has been chosen keeping in mind the safety aspect and is a wonderful place to set up a camp. Here we have Gujjar huts for safety back, in case weather is harsh. From nearby we get fabulous views of Swargarohini, Bandarpoonch& Kalanag peaks. Overnight stay at the base camp of Kedarkantha
The distance to the summit is not long but is reasonably steep and walking on snow makes it more tiring and time consuming. We will, depending upon the snow conditions select the best route leading to the summit. We will start quite early about 2 am in the morning. It will take anywhere between 7 to 8 hours to get to summit. Marvel at the astounding views from the summit. You get to see all the mountains of the Yumnotri and Gangotri range and also of Kinner Kailash range and other ranges in Himachal. Also there are some great views of the underlying valleys. After spending sometime at the summit we will start descending and walk all the way down to base camp. You are sure to come back exhilarated. Overnight stay at the base of Kedarkantha
After a hot cup of tea and breakfast, we will start descending to Sankri. We continue on the trail and the views get really exciting as we start to get a glimpse of the tips of the snow capped peaks of the Himalayas, finally arriving at Sankri for the night. Overnight stay at Sankri
After breakfast board the vehicle and start driving back towards Dehradun. Arrive in Dehradun by around late afternoon or evening. Our trip ends here.
ABOUT THE TREK
This is a great trail for people looking at winter treks in the Himalayas. With the falling of winter snow the landscapes take on a completely different and refreshing look. The trail is mostly through forest sections and meadows making it safe for walking even with lots of snow on the trail. What make this trek special is the views of the Himalayan ranges that one gets along the trail and from the summit. In winters the sky is usually absolutely clear and the air clean ensuring fantastic views. At an altitude of around 3800 m/12500 feet, the summit (Kedarkantha) offers a good challenge to trekkers who are rewarded for the hard work with mesmerising views which are sure to stay with one, lifelong. Days are going to be warm and sunny but be prepared for cold nights with temperature always being sub zero. If lady luck is taking the trip with you then get ready to be enthralled by spotting wildlife of the region. There are leopards, wild cats, birds, bear, boars and the musk deer to be seen. We have a policy of ‘Safety first’ and in line with this have chosen campsites which have back up Gujjar huts so just in case the weather gets really bad we can use these huts and be totally safe.
The trip begins with a beautiful drive from Dehradun to the remote village of Sankri in the Har-ki-Dun valley. This valley plays host to some of the most popular and enchanting treks in the Indian Himalayas like Har-ki-Dun, Ruinsara Tal, Rupin Pass, Black peak etc, and is home to many a trekker during the popular summer trekking season. The trek starts with an easy climb to a beautiful water pond called Juda-ka-Talab, we continue a short distance beyond the pond to our camping site for the night and get acclimatised to the conditions. By the end of the day we start seeing the snow-covered peaks of the Himalayas including some peaks that stretch into the Himachal region. The next day we start climbing and gaining altitude and trek through snow fields (green meadows in summer!!) towards the base of Kedar Kantha. The ease or difficulty of today’s hike will depend on the snow conditions but one thing is guaranteed we will have a great hiking day. We camp at the base. The next day we move as early as possible to try and get maximum time for the climb to the top. From the top we get brilliant views all around, the Himalayan ranges and the underlying valleys make quite a sight. Equally enjoyable as the views are going to be the sense of achievement that one experiences on climbing a snow clad Himalayan mountain. Next day we get down to Sankri early and celebrate the successful summit of the Kedar Kantha peak. From Sankri we drive down to Dehradun next day
DAY 01: Dehradun - Sankri (2000M) (Drive / 6-7 Hrs)
DAY 02: Sankri (2000M) - Juda Ka Talab ( Drive/10 – 15 Mins & Trek / 4-5 Hrs)
DAY 03: Juda Ka Talab - Base Camp (2800M) (Trek / 4- 5 Hrs)
DAY 04: Base Camp (2800M) – Kedar Kantha Summit (3800M) – Base Camp (2800M) (Trek / 7 - 8 Hrs)
DAY 05: Base Camp (3400M) - Sankri (2000M) ( Trek / 4 - 5 Hrs)
DAY 06: Sankri (2000M) – Dehradun (Drive / 6 - 7 Hrs)
- Accommodation: In case of odd numbers, that person will share the tent on triple sharing
- Day 01: Standard tents with attached washroom in Sankri
- Day 02: Alpine tents in Juda – ka - Talab
- Day 03: Alpine tents in Base of Kedarkantha
- Day 04: Alpine tents in Base of Kedarkantha
- Day 05: Standard tents with attached washroom in Sankri
- Meals: We provide simple, hygienic veg meals on all days of the trek
- Day 01: Dinner
- Day 02: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Dinner
- Day 03: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Dinner
- Day 04: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Dinner
- Day 05: Breakfast, Packed Lunch, Dinner
- Day 06: Breakfast
- Good Quality Camping Arrangements. The following equipment is provided on the trek
- Good quality of alpine tents
- Fresh & clean sleeping bags with inner lining/hot water bottle to keep you warm in cold winters
- Comfortable camping mattresses
- Camping stools
- Mess Tent
- 2 Toilet tents having portable toilet seat (1 for ladies & 1 for gents)
- Professional guide(s) to ensure high safety and more information and personal attention which are necessary to appreciate a trek. All our guides are professionally trained and have many years of relevant experience in guiding treks.
- Porter / Mule charges for carrying camping equipment & rations
- Forest entry charges, permits & camping fee for Indian guest only
- Basic first aid for the group
- Transport of any nature
- Porter/mule charges to carry your personal bag (can be arranged at an extra cost)
- Any meals/services not mentioned above
- Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.
- Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Any costs arising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, roadblocks, bad weather, etc.
- GST 5%
Rs. 9,700Departure Dates
Recognised by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India as an Approved Adventure Tour Operator