- Duration 9 Days
- Altitute 3800m
- Stay Rooms
- Difficulty Moderate
This exciting overland trip has it all. On this voyage we traverse through some of the most bizarre and surrealistic landscape, travelling at altitudes of more than 3500m once we enter the mountains, visit regions which till recently were cut off for tourists and are steeped in rich culture and history, etc.
We start off this road trip from Delhi and drive to the hill station of Shimla. From Shimla, we begin the actual journey into the famed valleys of Kinnaur, Lahaul and Spiti. Our first halt would be at the quaint town of Kalpa. This town is Inhabited by Kinnauri people and famous for its apple orchards. From here we move into the Kinnaur valley with the first stop being Sangla. The drive from Sarahan to Sangla is through a picturesque route with winding mountain roads with the River Sutlej surging furiously across the valley. As you drive deeper into the valley, the spectacular vistas unfold the meandering river, verdant conifer slopes, meadows, apple & chilgoza orchards, quaint villages and the magnificent snow clad Kinner Kailash ranges. From here one could do a number of day hikes and visit the village of Chitkul, which is the last village on the Indo-Tibetan border. From here, we leave the Kinnaur valley and enter the Spiti valley. The difference in the terrain of the 2 valleys is stark with the Kinnaur valley being lush green and the Spiti valley being barren and desolate. The valley is steeped in Buddhist culture and the same is visible through the number of monasteries that dot the landscape. We would be visiting a number of these monasteries and would learn a lot about the culture from the resident monks, architecture, interiors, etc. From the Spiti valley, we proceed to another popular hill station Manali. This town is very popular with holiday goers and the same can be seen in the crowded marketplace with shops selling local handicrafts, food cafes, etc. From Manali, we begin the journey into Ladakh. This trip involves traversing through the Greater Himalayas and crossing a number of high passes beginning with the Rohtang Pass (3978m). Also one would be passing through Keylong capital of Lahaul, Jispa and Sarchu. Keylong is a melange of green fields, willow planted watercourses, brown hills and snowy peaks. Here we will visit Khardong and Sha-Shur monasteries. We will also visit a few monasteries en route Jispa. From Jispa we depart for Sarchu via the Baralacha La (4883 m) over the ZingZing Bar plains. From here one can view the Mulkila and Barashigra peaks. In the next stage we will be crossing the Lachlung La(5182m) and Tanglang La(5303m) passes to reach Leh.
The last leg of this road trip would involve exploring the Nubra valley in Ladakh. Nubra is an incredible valley which till recently was completely cut off from travelers. It is a Buddhist region north of Leh across the Khardung La(5600m), the second highest motorable Pass in the world. This valley also known as the valley of flowers was on the former trade route between Tibet and Turkistan. We finish this exciting voyage with a rafting trip down the Indus. View of the valley from the river adds a totally different perspective to this truly enchanting place. The trip finishes with a flight - right over the top of the greater Himalayas, offering views only conjured in dreams.
Day 01: Shimla (2200m) - Kalpa (2960m), Drive / 240 kms / 9-10 hrs
Day 02: Kalpa (2960m) Sangla (2690m), Drive / 51 kms / 2-3 hrs
Day 03: Sangla (2690m) - Chitkul (3450m) Sangla (2690m), Drive / 26 kms /2-3 hrs
Day 04: Sangla (2690m) - Tabo (3049m), Drive / 200 kms / 7-8 hrs
Day 05: Tabo (3049m) Dhankar (3890m) - Kaza (3800m) Drive / 70kms / 3-4 hrs
Day 06: Kaza (3800m) Kye (4166m) Kibber (4270m) Gete (4270m) Kaza (3800m), Drive / 60 kms / 2-3hrs
Day 07: Kaza - Kunzum La (4550m) Chandratal (4270m), Drive / 85 kms / 3-4 hrs
Day 08: Chandratal (4270m) - Manali (2000m), Drive / 118 kms / 5-6 hrs
Day 09: Manali departure
- Assemble in Shimla at 6:30 am
- Today we drive from Shimla to Kalpa
- Enroute we drive through Narkanda, Rampur & Rekong Peo
- Reach Kalpa, rest & relax
- Overnight in guesthouse / hotel / camp.
- In the morning we will explore Kalpa
- In the afternoon, drive to Sangla
- Overnight guesthouse/hotel/camp at Sangla.
- In the morning, we drive to Chitkul (26 kms), last village on the Indo-Tibetian border.
- Explore Chitkul
- In the afternoon, return to Sangla
- Overnight in the hotel/guesthouse/ camp.
- Post breakfast, drive to Tabo village
- Today, ride through lush green Kinnaur into the arid and strikingly beautiful Spiti
- On reaching Tabo explore the region. Overnight stay in guesthouse/ camp at Tabo.
- After a leisurely breakfast, drive to Kaza
- Enroute visit the Dhanker Gompa
- On reaching Kaza, go for an evening stroll to the local market
- Overnight in a hotel/camp at Kaza.
- Today drive to Kye village and visit the monastery
- From here, drive further to reach the village at Kibber.
- After spending sometime at Kibber, drive to highest village in the world, Gete (4270m)
- In the afternoon, return back to Kaza.
- Evening at leisure.
- Overnight in a hotel /camp at Kaza.
- Today morning, we drive to Kunzum La (4550m)
- From Kunzum La (4550m), we further drive to Chandratal Lake(4270m)
- On reaching Chandratal, enchant yourself with the beauty of the Lake
- Overnight stay in the tents.
- Post breakfast, drive to Manali via the famous Rohtang pass
- On reaching Manali, check into hotel/ guesthouse.
- In the evening roam around the market and do some shopping
- Overnight stay at hotel/ guesthouse.
- Post breakfast, depart for onward destination
- Trip ends here!
- Transport by a comfortable Mahindra Xylo/ Mahindra Scorpio/ Tempo Traveler
- Accommodation in neat and clean good quality hotels and deluxe camps at all locations. Hotel will be provided as per your tour plan deluxe/ standard.
- Meals: Breakfast and dinner on all days starting with dinner on day 1 till breakfast on the day 11. Your meals will be at the hotel as per your tour plan deluxe/ standard.
- All permits and permissions for the trip
- First aid kit (our team is experienced in handling first aid situations)
- Any meals/services not mentioned above
- Any charges for video cameras, still cameras, etc.
- Alcohol, soft drinks, beverages, etc.
- Personal expenses like tips, telephone calls, laundry, etc.
- Any entry fees for the monuments, monasteries etc
- Any costs rising out of unforeseen circumstances like landslides, road blocks, bad weather, etc.
- 5% GST
Rs. 28,000Departure Dates
Recognised by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India as an Approved Adventure Tour Operator