- Duration 12 Days
- Altitute 1600m
- Stay Rooms/Tents
- Difficulty Moderate+
Manali to Leh Cycling
If you are looking for the excitement of pure downhill, day after day through ever changing scenery, the Manali to Leh traverse is hard to beat. Riders will have the option of ascending a total of 3800 meters to cross the four main passes on the route. Cycling will truly be an unforgettable experience as one will get to witness some of the most spectacular scenery in the world.
This may not sound particularly great, especially to road orientated cyclists, but difficult terrain and tough ascents will make any cycling in this region a challenge for everyone.
If it is just downhill you are after, then there is support transport for all the climbs and you will be free to tackle some of the most fun downhill rides in the world, then sit back and be driven to the top of the next one. This is a fairly demanding trip, although thanks to our program of acclimatization, as well as the superb back up that we have throughout, anybody of reasonable fitness should have no problem enjoying it to the full. On the main route the cycling is simple with no technical difficulties, but for those of you who want more of a thrill off-road, the paths which short-cut the hundreds of switchbacks are as challenging as you could want, with the added bonus being that they seem never ending.
This trip is going to challenge the strongest of riders with adrenaline filled cycling routes. The beautiful multi-coloured desert landscapes, whimsical villages inhabited by rugged-looking people will enchant you completely. This is a fascinating cycling trip will offer you with a golden chance to explore the Buddhist kingdom of Ladakh & Lahaul with visits to lakes and many ancient monasteries and palaces. Cycle through this remote corner of India & bring out the adventure junkie in you. Buckle up for a wild & wacky adventure fuelled by fearlessness & experience out of the ordinary.
Day 1: Riding Around Town / Arrive Manali / Acclimatization Ride
Day 2: Manali - Marhi (Uphill To Camp At Marhi 35 Km, 5-6 Hr, Elevation Gain 1250m)
Day 3: Marhi - Sissu (The First Pass Rohtang, Marhi Sissu 53kms, 5-6 Hours, Elevation Gain 1600m)
Day 4: Sissu - Jispa ('Lahaul' 64 Km, 6-7 Hr, Elevation Gain 600m)
Day 5: Jispa - Patseo (Entering The Higher Ground Jispa Patseo 32 Km, 3-4 Hr, Elevation Gain 500m)
Day 6: Patseo - Sarchu (The Second Pass Patseo Sarchu Plains 60 Km, 6-7 Hr, Elevation Gain 1400m)
Day 7: Sarchu - Pang (A Hard Day's Ride Sarchu - Pang 84 Km, 8-9 Hr, Elevation Gain 1200m)
Day 8: Pang - Tso-Kar (Into Thin Air Pang Tso - Kar 57 Km, 4-5 Hr, Elevation Gain 400m)
Day 9: Tso-Kar - Rumptse (The Big Ascent Tso Kar - Rumptse 80 Km, 6-7 Hr, Elevation Gain 900m)
Day 10: Rumptse - Leh (Leh 82 Km, 7-8 Hr, Elevation Gain 450m)
Day 11: Leh - Khardung La - Leh (The Big Climb Khardungla Pass 80kms, Elevation Gain 2100m)
Day 12: Leh - Delhi
- Arrive at Manali & check into the tents / guesthouse / hotel
- In the afternoon Ride to Naggar and Roerich art Gallery
- Evening at leisure
- Overnight stay in the tents /guesthouse / hotel
- Today we set off for an exciting full day of cycling
- We climb through flower –filled valleys , forests & pass through villages
- From the last village Kothi we cycle the hairpin bends till Rohalla Falls
- We will then ascend to our camp at Marhi
- Overnight stay in the tents / guesthouse / hotel
- Today we follow the zig-zag roads to Rohtang La (3978m)
- After reaching the pass, we continue cycling downhill to Khoksar village
- Thereafter we take a short detour and finally descend to Sissu
- Overnight stay in the tents / guesthouse / hotel at Sissu
- Today we start off cycling from Lahaul Valley to Tandi (confluence of Chandra & Baga)
- From Tandi we climb uptill Keylong
- Further we start descending to Jispa
- Overnight stay in the tents /guesthouse/hotel in Jispa
- Another fairly easy day for acclimatization
- We cycle through beautiful green pastureland to Darcha (3235m)
- At Darcha, we halt for a while to enjoy a cup of tea
- From here we continue climbing, until we reach Patseo (3650m)
- On arrival, we stay overnight in the tents /guesthouse/hotel at Patseo
- A hectic day today as we cross the Himalayas to Sarchu.
- Today we climb up to the legendry Baralacha La Pass (4892m)
- On reaching, we get to witness the captivating views of snow-covered Barashigri, Chandrabhaga & Mulkila Peaks.
- From the pass we cycle past Kiling Serai to reach Sarchu.
- Overnight stay in tents /guesthouse/hotel at Sarchu
- We start off early as today will be a hectic day
- We climb across Brandy Nallah & Whisky Nallah towards Gata Loops
- Today we also climb to reach the Nakli La (4800m) & Lachalung La Pass (5100m)
- Thereafter we cross the Zanskar Range & will also witness the captivating views
- From Lachalung La Pass we enjoy an easy ride down till pang
- Overnight stay in tents /guesthouse/hotel at pang
- We start with a short ascent to the Mori Plains (4700m)
- Today we pass through Rupshu the waterless high altitude desert
- We turn off the main road and cycle along a sandy track to Tsokar Lake
- We camp for the night near Pongunagu
- Overnight stay in tents /guesthouse/hotel at TsoKar
- Another thrilling day as we cross the last pass Taglang La (5,328m)
- We climb to the top of Taglang La & witness the wonderful views of Himalayas and the Karakorum Range
- After a while we follow a long zig zag descent to reach Rumptse
- Overnight stay in tents /guesthouse/hotel at Rumpste
- Today we cycle besides the Kyamnar River down to Upshi
- We detour to visit Hemis, the largest & richest Ladakhi monasteries.
- Also visit ancient temples & Buddha statues
- We start to cycle beside the Indus River & pass through Karu, Tikse & ruins of Shey Palace
- At the final stage we leave Indus & enter Leh
- Arrive in Leh & check into the hotel
- Overnight stay at the hotel
- A challenging day today, as we ride to Khardung La (5602m) one of the highest motorable passes
- Cycle from Leh till the top of the pass & witness magnificent views of Karakorums , Ladakh and Zanskar mountains
- After halting for a while, enjoy a fantastic downhill ride back to Leh
- Overnight stay at the hotel
- Accommodation: on twin sharing basis as indicated
- Meals: Breakfast, packed/hot lunch and dinner, snacks at all locations from Day 2 lunch to Day 10 lunch
- Mineral Water, Chocolates, Fruits, Dry Fruits
- Two Nutrition halts during the cycling course everyday
- Support Vehicle
- Mechanic support
- An equipped vehicle with oxygen cylinder, high altitude first aid kit.
- Permit fees
- A well marked route
- A Map with day to day elevation profiles.
- A strong member crew for daily operations.
- A celebration in Leh.
- Any meals in Manali & Leh
- Expenses of personal nature e.g. Telephone bills, etc
- Immediate expenses raised due to natural occurrences – landslides, weather, cloud burst etc.
- Return airfare expenses or road transport expenses from Leh.
- Camera expenses at monasteries
- Alcoholic beverages.
- 5% GST.
Rs. 32,900Departure Dates
Recognised by Ministry of Tourism, Government of India as an Approved Adventure Tour Operator